Monday, August 9, 2010

My Thoreau Moment…

For the last four nights I have been house-sitting out in the country for friends of my family and I was overjoyed when they gave me permission to commandeer the place for a few nights. I took the time to make a list of all the things I should bring with me for the long weekend so that I might accomplish the things that I always want to do, but never get around to in the hustle of life.

I was looking forward to finishing a painting for Mrs. Beverly, finally starting Susan Sontag’s book On Photography, a little violin practice, taking a few pictures, and relaxing by the lake to my new music downloads.

However, I was quick to find out that it is true what Michael said about this place, “It will slow you down, so just enjoy it!”

And enjoy it I have, even without checking everything off of my to-do list!

The first night as I laid down to sleep and my heartbeat slowed and my breath softened, I realized just how quiet it is out here; not completely silent though. With a screen as my only shield from the night and the crickets and frogs singing me a familiar lullaby, I drifted off to sleep as the sounds reminded me of my summer nights at Camp Fern.

I found something unexpected about myself out in here in the solitude; that although I enjoy my alone time, sometimes even requiring it, I also crave human contact. This was a surprise to both me and Tison. I don’t think I have ever called the man more in the last five years of our relationship! It reminds me of when we first started dating and the majority of the relationship was mainly by telephone. Ahh, it’s true what they say. Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

I know why they asked me to come and enjoy the surroundings. They knew that I appreciate nature and enjoy the outdoors. The view here is absolutely breathtaking and there is a kind of freedom knowing there is not a soul around for miles.

The first time I came out here I said to Michael, “Oh, yes, I could totally live out here!”

Now, I am not completely altering my original statement- merely tweaking it to “Oh, yes, I could totally live out here, for awhile, and with a companion!”

{pictures of my Thoreau moment on tomorrow’s post}

ps- Leslie and Cuan made it back to the States safe and sound. More details on their return to come. :)

xo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...