Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Leslie & Cuan...reflections on travel

 "So the trip has officially come to an end as I'm sitting back at my desk at work. Back to reality. It really does feel like I have been dreaming the past 4 weeks (34 days actually, I counted!) Traveling has always been a dream of mine but I never realized how possible it actually was. I learned you don't have to have a ton of money to pay for all the nice hotels and "touristy" activities. Although those things are nice, that isn't really traveling like I have wanted. 

I learned so much about every place we went because we were right there in the middle of it. I know about the bears in Canada because I experienced it. I know how cold the glacial rivers in Montana and Alaska are because I walked through them (and occasionally bathed ha). California is more beautiful (and colder!) than I even imagined. And I never knew just how delicious fish straight from the river to the fire really tastes.

 We met the locals and learned about what life is like where there live because we camped in their back yards. It was just an amazing way to travel and I'm so thankful that Cuan brought me with him this time. Now I understand what he has been talking about! On top of everything I saw, Cu and I really got to know each other for who we really are, which was another experience in itself. And we didn't kill each other! He is an amazing person and I am grateful to have him in my life!

And doing all of this on a bike made is that much more amazing. It was a constant panoramic view of every type of landscape I could imagine. Desert, mountains, lakes, the coast, forests, miles of crops and vineyards. And if it was hot outside we knew it, if it was raining we felt it. But that's all part of it and I wouldn't have had it any other way!

 I've been to places I have always wanted to see and some that I never knew existed but it has all been something incredible that I know has changed me, in a good way. I think sometimes we get so caught up in the way we live our lives its hard to imagine a different way. But I feel more open to experiencing things now and excited to meet and learn about how others live, it's inspiring.  
Two people had the time of their lives in a month and made it to Alaska and back on a budget, but saw more than anyone with a ton of money to spend would see I think.So if you have the time and ambition to travel, do it! I'll go with you! Thanks to all those who were worried about me and kept up with my travels! I have the BEST family and friends. Love you!"

Here's a video of Cuan on another one of his awesome adventures:
{hopefully there will be a video of this trip soon!}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...